Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Diets Don't Work... A Better Way to Lose Weight

I've been successful on almost every popular diet over the last 20 years. I've lost at least 30 lbs. dozens of times in my life. Unfortunately I keep failing maintenance. Here's the reason why diet's don't work. We make the decision to turn around our lives by starting a new way of eating. You are a victim and the diet gets the credit. Then you start maintenance and go back to your old eating habits. I am now ready to start the proper way to lose weight. Here's what I truly believe will work. You must make the decision that you are embarking on a new way of eating that will last your lifetime. It's no longer a diet followed by maintenance. It's a new lifestyle. Some rules:
1- Lot's of fruits and veggies. Try not to combine fruits, proteins and carbs. Eat fruit first.
2- Snack smart. Add protein as between meal snacks. Low fat string cheese works well. Use cut veggies into hummus dip. No chips, cookies or other carb snacks. Sorry chip makers.
3-Make your portion's smaller and smaller until you are satiated. Once the hunger is gone, stop eating. Start with a fist sized (your fist, not Schwarzenegger's) portion and try cutting down. Once your body feels it will be fed regularly it won't store food as fat. Don't eat after dinner but have at least 6 little meals and/or snacks each day. Don't miss meals or wait over 5 hours to eat.
A quick disclaimer. I am not a medical doctor nor a diet expert. I am an author who has dieted all my adult life and these are some of my observations that have worked for me. Before embarking on a change of life program like a diet/or weight loss plan, check with your Physician.

No comments: